|Return to Archives|
Posted on May 24th, 2016
As part of this registration, a background check is completed and information on their employer is obtained. Through this process, anyone approved to solicit is issued an identification card showing they are a registered solicitor. All solicitors are required, upon request, to provide their identification card to any person they are contacting as a solicitor. This identification card shall contain the following information:
(1) The permit number;
(2) The name and address of the applicant;
(3) The date the permit was issued and the date of expiration;
(4) The name and address of the employer or principal;
(5) A physical description (height, weight, color of hair and eyes, complexion) and the date of birth of the applicant and the presence and location of marks and scars on the applicant;
(6) The signature of the County Sheriff; and
(7) A brief description of the nature of the business and the goods to be sold.
In addition to registering, all solicitors must uphold a code of conduct (County Ordinance 828.08). If a solicitor is found in violation of this code, their privileges will be revoked and they will not be authorized to solicit within Loudoun County for a period of one year.
Solicitation hours in the county are weekday 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Soliciting is not permitted on Sunday's or state or national holidays. Solicitors must leave when asked by the property owner. Solicitors must conduct themselves in a lawful and orderly manner and must identify themselves and their purpose of being on the property.
The Peddlers and Solicitor Ordinance can be viewed at: https://www.loudoun.gov/documentcenter/view/5607
Any person who witnesses a violation of this code of conduct or encounters a solicitor who refuses to provide their county issued solicitor permit, or does not have a permit should contact the Loudoun County Sheriff's Office by calling the 24-hour non-emergency number at 703-777-1021.